Right when you take a blue pregnancy test and it turns out positive, your body begins to change and so does your skin. Acne is common skin problem experienced during pregnancy. One out of every two pregnant lady is expected to develop acne. Acne may range from normal to severe.
The increased hormone levels in the first trimester can be the primary cause of pregnancy acne. However, it is difficult to predict who will develop the acne and who will not. It is just that the risk are higher if you have a history of acne or have acne flares at the start of your menstrual cycle.
Managing acne when you’re pregnant can be complicated. That’s because medical treatment comes with a high risk of birth defects. Therefore, you should avoid any kind of medication that has slightest chance of harming your baby.
Here are top 10 natural treatment for acne during pregnancy that is safe for you and your baby.
1. Lemon for acne treatment during pregnancy
Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C. It fights pimple causing bacteria and is antimicrobial in nature. It helps maintain the pH balance of your skin and prevent from breakouts.
- Dip a sterile cotton ball to some fresh lemon juice and apply it on the acne.
- Leave it on an hour.
- After that, rinse your face with cold water.
- Repeat twice a day for faster recovery.
2. Treat pregnancy acne using Olive Oil steam
Extra virgin olive oil help reduce the skin inflammation due to acne and also fights infection. It is also rich in vitamin E essentials that helps improve the blood circulation, hence resulting tissue regeneration and faster healing of acne scars.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water.
- Add few drops of olive oil to it.
- Lean towards the bowl and cover your head with a towel. Make sure you maintain a distance from the bowl to prevent from possible burning.
- Stay in this position for 10 to 12 minutes and then pat your face dry using a soft towel.
- Take few drop of olive oil and massage it on your skin.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes then rinse off with water.
Using steam will help open up the clogged pores, making them easier to unclog.
3. Get rid of pregnancy acne with Aloe Vera
Aloe vera gel is a powerful natural treatment for different kinds of skin and hair related problems. It is a wonderful remedy to reduce acne and also heals it effectively. It rejuvenates your skin by providing it the right combination of nutrients and skin-toning compounds.
- Cut an aloe leaf and extract the fresh gel out of it.
- Clean your face and apply some of this gel and massage in circular motion.
- Leave it on for half an hour and then rinse off.
- Repeat this remedy every night before bed for incredible results.
4. Pregnancy acne treatment with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is one of the best natural remedy to fight with acne during pregnancy. Being organic, it is safe to use coconut oil and does not have side effects. It has amazing benefits to the skin. Along with the goodness of anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it is also serves as a decent moisturizer.
- Take enough of the virgin coconut oil.
- Spread it evenly on your face and massage thoroughly.
- Let it sit for overnight, then rinse off the next morning.
Following this remedy, you will feel your skin pores getting smooth and away from acne.
5. Use Cucumber for safe acne treatment during pregnancy
Cucumber is known for its skin care and soothing properties. Pregnant women can also consume cucumber as it keeps the body hydrated. The cooling effect of cucumber is great for treating skin problems, especially acne. It is considered an effective remedy for pimples since ancient days and has been proven to have natural acne fighting properties.
- Peel off outer layer of a cucumber and smash it in a blender.
- Apply the puree to your face and leave it for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cold water.
- Use this remedy daily unless you see some visible difference.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar – home remedy for pregnancy acne
The acidic property of Apple Cider Vinegar help in curing the skin acne. It is one of the best and easiest natural home remedy to get rid of your pregnancy acne. It will clear out the excessive oil content in the skin pores.
- Take a cotton ball and soak in apple cider vinegar. Now apply it to your skin where you have acne till it absorbs oil.
- Add one part vinegar to three parts of distilled water to use it as natural toner.
ACV kills the bacteria and removes the dirt that gets attracted to the oily face causing acne. It will dissolve the dead skin cells naturally and heal the acne.
7. Remove pimples during pregnancy using Honey
Enriched with antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties, honey is one of the safest and effective home remedy to deal with your pregnancy related acne. It not only fights with the germs, but also prevents the acne from spreading. It also soothes the skin and makes it supple.
- Mix a teaspoon each of honey, turmeric and lime juice and stir to make a paste
- Apply this mixture to your face.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.
8. Turmeric solution for safely treating pregnancy acne
Topical use of turmeric is recommended during pregnancy to treat irritated, inflamed and infected skin due to hormonal change. Turmeric is an effective herbal remedy for pimples and it also removes the acne scar. It does not have any side effects, so is safe to use. However, intake of turmeric is restricted for many health reasons for pregnant women.
- Add some honey to the turmeric and mix well
- Apply this paste on the acne and affected areas on your face.
- Leave it until dry then wash it off.
- Pat dry with a clean towel.
This remedy will reduce the redness and inflammation and give you a clear pimple-free skin.
9. Egg Mask remedy for treating acne during pregnancy
Acne during pregnancy can be well treated with egg mask. Egg is great for healing skin related problems as it has amazing curative properties. It also acts as a natural astringent that tightens the skin pores naturally. Applying egg white to the skin prevents excess of sebum and removes the dirt and dead cells.
- Break an egg and filter the whites.
- Whisk well and apply it on the face, targeting the acne.
- Leave it to dry for some 15 minutes.
- Then rinse it with cold water.
The egg protein helps enhance the skin elasticity and make it look soft, smooth and supple.
10. Natural pregnancy acne treatment with Avocado
Avocado is one of the most potential fruit great for skin. It helps prevent pregnancy acne at home naturally. The dry skin acne victims are generally benefited by avocado treatment because it helps nourish the skin and keeps it moisturized.
- Peel a ripe avocado.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of yogurt to the avocado pulp.
- Apply this paste evenly on your face.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Then wash the face with cool water.
- Apply this remedy on regularly basis to get rid of the face acne.
Generally, the increase in hormones causes the glands in your skin to produce more sebum – an oily substance, resulting to clogged pores, inflammation and bacterial infection. But luckily, pregnancy acne is temporary. It will clear up as soon as your hormone level returns to normal. Until then, try these safe home remedies to get rid of the ones you have. We’d also like to hear your experience with these.
Also, have a look at these 10 home remedies to get rid of acne scar!