In our previous blog, we discovered 10 best natural remedies for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD). However, most of ladies also face the problem of stomach bloating during their menstruation period. That’s why, in this today’s blog, we will discuss about the bloating issue along with natural remedies to cure it.
Bloating is a common problem encountered during menstruation. While the bloating may be felt from head to the toe, some most common areas which are affected by the bloating includes the breasts, abdomen, face, legs, ankles, and feet.
Generally, the bloating symptoms are emerged as a result of water retention in the body that is influenced by hormonal changes associated with the menstrual cycle. This results to swollen body parts.
Changes in hormones can slow down the bowel motility. This can result in retention of gas and lead to a swollen abdomen. When there is heavy flow of blood in the uterus, it can cause swelling in the uterine and ultimately leads to a bloated abdomen.
However, there are some natural remedies which you can try during your monthlies to keep away the menstrual bloating and associated symptoms. We will be discussing about the few of them in this article.
1. Ginger remedy for menstrual bloating
Ginger can be one of the best home remedies to help you with the menstrual bloating. Ginger tea also helps relieve the menstrual cramps.
- You can add two tsp. of freshly grated ginger per cup of water to prepare your cup of ginger drink or simply use a commercial herbal tea product.
- You can also use ginger in a hot compress and apply it directly to the lower back or abdomen to induce blood circulation and relaxation of muscles. To prepare a ginger compress, boil about 6 ounce of ginger roots in some water for about 15 minutes. Then soak a washcloth in the infusion. Allow it to cool down so that it is easy to handle, then gently wring out and place it directly on the skin.
2. Add Potassium to your diet to avoid bloating during periods
Potassium is a mineral which has great potential in regulating the fluid balance in your body. This helps in keeping away menstrual bloating and associated symptoms. Foods rich in potassium like bananas, mangoes, cantaloupe, asparagus, nuts, spinach and tomatoes contains good amount of amino acid called asparagine that helps to flush out excess liquid from your system.
3. Magic of Probiotics to get rid of menstrual bloating
Probiotics are good bacteria that are found naturally in cultured milk products such as yogurt. It can keep you away from bloating and other premenstrual syndromes. According to a study, women who are suffering from severe bowel syndrome including abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, and/or diarrhea could get a visible result with the intake of probiotic strain B. infantis for four weeks. The bloating problem was reported to have been reduced significantly with the use of probiotics from supplements and yogurt.
4. Yam – a wonderful cure to menstrual bloating
Sometimes, lowering down of hormone level during period can also lead to bloating. Therefore, if adding a food to our regular diet can help boost the hormone level in our body then why not consider using that food? Yams can actually escalate the level of progesterone in the body. It is an easy and effective home remedy to cure period bloating. Also, you can use yams to increase the breast size in women.
- In order to prepare a yam remedy, put one whole diced yam, one whole sliced apple, with 1 cup sliced celery and 1 teaspoon curcumin to a saucepan and add half a cup of water to it.
- Heat it on low flame for about 10 minutes. Let it cool down and then your yam panacea is ready to serve.
5. Limit sugar substitute to keep bloating at bay
Artificial sweeteners that are found in sugar-free candies and gums can make it difficult for some people to digest them. These sugar substitutes make the candies bloat-inducing and can result to gas and diarrhea (in some cases). If you experience unease while taking these, you should cut off their intake and use a bit of real sugar instead.
6. Apply Pressure and stay bloat-free
Applying pressure to the GI tract can be another home remedies that can be effective in getting rid of the period bloating. In order to get rid of the gases, massage your abdomen in the direction of your GI tract. Here’s a brief direction:
- Using your fingers, press your right hip and slide them up towards the ribs.
- Move your fingers down and across your colon in circular motion. It actually works!
7. Eat water-loaded food to avoid puffy belly
Fruits and veggies enriched with water content helps in solving the period bloating issue. You should adopt this remedy in addition to drinking enough water to stay hydrated and bloat-free. Foods like watermelon, cucumbers, celery, and eggplant full of water. Timely eating these natural products will flush out any unnecessary liquids from your body and help you get rid of the puffy stomach.
8. Lemon water can help you stay away from bloating problems
Foods like lemon stimulates gastrointestinal juices in your body and also boosts the overall digestion process. Lemon water is not only refreshing but also helps solve the bloating problem. Taking a glass of lemon water as the first thing when you wake up will help you bid farewell to bloating.
9. Use Coconut Oil as a natural remedy for menstrual bloating
Coconut oil is one one the best natural and all-rounder home remedies. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it a reliable treatment for period bloating. It contains healthy fat that is good for hormone production, in addition to solid cell structuring, and also boosts your immune system. A tablespoon of coconut oil a day is very helpful for the body. If it is difficult to use pure coconut oil, you can go for the coconut cream concentrate, which tastes better and is easy to eat. In case of bloating, two tablespoons daily will make the best dosage to give you some relief.
10. Prevent yourself from bloating by saying NO to soda
Carbonated drinks are packed with a lot of air bubbles that will add to your existing belly pouch. When you take in soda you are swallowing more air. So it is better to stay away from the bubbly drinks, especially the sugary soda.
In addition to following these remedies, you should also continue vigorous exercising to maintain better circulation and help you get rid of excess fluids and gases.