Chickenpox is a kind of viral infection that leads to those small blisters (reddish spots) all over the body and they are very much itchy. A highly contagious disease, Chickenpox can be avoided with proper vaccination against it. Generally, chickenpox shows up at early ages of life. That may be the reason why many of us are affected with it during the childhood. But, only a few will experience some complications, else there’s nothing to worry about.
You can easily find vaccines in any part of the world for this disease, resulting in drastic reduction of its outbreak. Touch wood, but you will hardly find any patient hospitalizations due to this disease. However, the rashes from the disease are itchy and scratching them can only worsen the condition. Scratching can break down the red spots (called vesicles) and allow the liquid inside to ooze and cause irritation due to the painful stinging sensation.
Once you are exposed to the virus causing chicken pox, it will take a period of 10 to 21 days to develop the symptoms develop. The common symptom includes aversion to food (feeling like nausea with the aroma of food), feeling feverish, and fatigue.
Causes of Chickenpox
- A virus called varicella-zoster is responsible for chickenpox
- It spreads through the saliva
- And also through direct coughing and sneezing
- Anyone with the ailment coming in direct contact can be risky
Symptoms of Chickenpox
- Fever that is not cured with regular medication
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- A headache
- Fatigue and feeling of restlessness
There are many easy home remedies for curing chickenpox and the associated itching and discomfort. Here, in this article, I will be discussing the top 10 home remedies for chicken pox.
1. Baking Soda as a natural remedy for chickenpox
Baking soda is a popular treatment for various kind of skin afflictions and ailments. It helps control the itchiness caused by the blisters appearing in chicken pox. It also helps to soothe the skin and give relief from the burning sensation due to the breaking of the blisters and liquid oozing out. Baking soda also acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent and an excellent antimicrobial that helps prevent spreading of the disease to other parts of the body.
Baking soda is one of the amazing natural remedies for treating chickenpox.
- In a glass of warm water add a tablespoon of baking soda
- Soak some sterile surgical cotton balls in the solution.
- Remove the excess liquid and apply them on the affected areas, one by one.
- Repeat the process regularly for 2 to 3 weeks for better results.
Alternatively, you can add baking soda to bath water and soak your body for an hour.
2. Honey to cure the effects of chickenpox
One of the best natural antibacterial agents Honey does wonders when it comes to curing chicken pox. It is also an amazing anti-inflammatory agent that helps fight the infection (if any) caused by the blisters. The soothing effect of honey helps calm the itchiness and burning sensation due to the rashes caused by chickenpox.
Honey cures the rashes and also helps remove the ugly scars left over the body due to the chickenpox attack, therefore, making it one of the best natural remedies for chickenpox.
- Take 2 teaspoons of the pure, organic honey.
- Add it to a glass of warm water.
- Drink this honey syrup daily for about 2 to 3 weeks.
- You can also apply honey directly on the affected areas.
3. Neem – a herbal remedy for chickenpox treatment
Neem leaves have enriched herbal goodness and have great potential in treating various skin ailments. It has been used as an excellent antimicrobial agent since ancient days to accelerate the healing process. Neem has believed to have excellent medicinal properties. Turmeric, on the other hand, is regarded as a magic spice that acts as a great natural antibiotic and its antimicrobial qualities help control the infection from spreading to other parts of the body.
The combination of the two of these makes the best natural treatment for chickenpox.
- Wash and grind a bunch of fresh neem leaves to get a fine paste.
- To this paste, add 2 teaspoons of Turmeric powder and mix well.
- Apply the mixture paste to the affected areas.
- Repeat the process for 10 days and see the difference.
4. Use Oatmeal Soak to solve the issues accompanied with chickenpox
Oatmeal bath soak is an effective and trusted remedy for various skin allergies and reactions from several insect bites. It also gives you relief from skin issue in dry weather like winters.
The chickenpox infected patients get instant relief from the itching caused by the blisters as a result of using this remedy. It also helps prevent the urge to scratch the blisters, avoiding the possible risk factors.
- Grind two cups of oatmeal to get a fine powder.
- Add this powder to the bathtub half-filled with warm water.
- Soak your body in the bathtub for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Continue for few days to witness the results.
5. Brown Vinegar home remedy for chickenpox
Brown vinegar has been used to treat various skin conditions, including eczema. It has great anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Using vinegar on the chickenpox blisters helps to get instant relief from the itching and burning sensation. In addition to that, it also helps control further spreading of the blisters and prevent them from cracking and oozing out the liquid within.
- Take a cup of brown vinegar.
- Add it to the bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak in here for some 20 to 25 minutes.
- Repeat the same process for a week and see the difference.
6. Calendula and Witch Hazel for treating chickenpox and its blisters
The antibacterial properties in Calendula flowers help hasten the healing process and get faster relief from the itching and burning sensation caused by the chickenpox blisters. The amalgam of witch hazel leaves and calendula petals is effective and harsh on the bacteria causing chickenpox. This combination also helps to prevent them from multiplying and spreading to other parts of the body.
This medicinal flower and leaves helps stimulate the production of collagen in the body, and thereby promotes good health of the skin. Calendula and Witch Hazel are indeed the best natural remedies for chickenpox.
- Take 2 tsp of dried Calendula petals and 1 tsp of dried Witch Hazel leaves.
- Soak them in a bowl of water for overnight.
- Drain the water in the morning and grind them to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas and leave it on for a few hours.
- Rinse using warm water and pat dry.
- Repeat the process daily for a week or so.
7. Opt for a Herbal Tea remedy to keep away chickenpox
Some herbal teas have a great role in overcoming various skin ailments. Chamomile has a soothing effect on the nerves and helps boost your body’s immune system. It aids in fighting against the bacteria causing chickenpox with much ease.
The Basil leaves have excellent medicinal properties. It is a natural antibiotic with great potentials that helps in preventing the spread of bacteria causing chickenpox to other parts of the body. It helps to remove the blister scars and also quickly restores the skin to its original texture.
- Boil a teaspoon of either chamomile or basil leaves in a glass of water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes. Then, strain and drink the water while still warm.
- Continue the process twice a day for 2 weeks.
8. Epsom Salt Soak for prevention from chickenpox
Epsom salt is a naturally occurring organic chemical also known as magnesium sulfate. It is made up of sulfur, magnesium, and oxygen.
Epsom salt tends to absorb the moisture from the blisters and also prevents it from cracking as it can be very painful and ooze out the liquid, increasing the chance of spreading the infection.
Epsom salt is considered as one of the best natural remedies for chickenpox because it controls the itching and burning effect accompanied with the disease.
- To a glass of warm water, add 2 to 3 tsp of Epsom salt.
- Dip some sterile cotton balls in solution and apply thoroughly in the infected area.
- Use a new cotton ball with each application.
- Repeat the process 2 to 3 times every day.
9. How chickenpox can be treated with Carrot- Coriander soup
Carrot is a rich source of Vitamins. It has vitamin A, C, D, B6, and B12, in addition to iron and magnesium. It is also rich in and minerals like sodium and potassium. Whereas, coriander is a herb rich in Vitamin A, C, D, B6, and B12, with a good dose of magnesium and iron. Therefore, the combination is ideal for curing chickenpox and its outcomes. The antioxidants present in the mixture helps accelerate the healing process and also help the skin regain its original texture. The carrot-coriander soup is one of the best natural home remedies for curing chickenpox.
- Wash and cut 3 to 4 medium-sized carrots in small pieces.
- Steam boil the carrots and mash or grind them.
- Put the mashed carrots in a container and add water and set to boil.
- Add a teaspoon of corn flour to it.
- When the soup comes to a boiling state add the finely chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Add very little salt, to taste (avoid if possible).
- Drink this soup hot, twice every day for 2 to 3 weeks.
10. Change your Diet to avoid threats of chickenpox
Diet plays a major role in maintaining your overall body condition and also while fighting against diseases. Chickenpox is no different. It can be aggravated by consuming hot and spicy food. Also, consuming deep-fried foods that contain more oil are not as conducive as they can worsen the situation. It is equally important to cut down on the consumption of red meat, bread, and dairy products. Doing this will help control chickenpox and also increase the rate of healing.
Also, make sure you drink plenty of water (at least 8 glasses per day) and stay hydrated. Include plenty of fruit juices and lemon juice in your diet to flush the harmful toxins out of the body.
A proper diet is very important to cure chickenpox.
- Maintain a healthy and timely scheduled diet plan
- Consume more fresh fruits and raw vegetables (salads) than usual.
- Include foods like beetroots, broccoli, cherries, and blackberries rich in Vitamin A and C in your diet
- Avoid consumption of oily and spicy foods
In addition to following these natural remedies for the treatment of chickenpox, you should also follow some additional tips that will aid in the prevention and cure of the disease.
Drink enough fresh fruit juice and eat as many salads as possible. This is not only good for the chickenpox but also for overall health benefits. Add foods rich in Vitamin C to your diet. You can also apply fresh organic honey having high medicinal value to the scars in order to remove them completely. You can also use Vitamin E oil for the scars, they work effectively.
Finally, make sure that your kids are vaccinated against chickenpox. It is the first step you take against preventing their occurrence.
Let us know how these tips helped you fight against chickenpox and its aftermath. I’ll be happy to hear from you.