An itchy scalp is very irritating and can be embarrassing when you need to constantly scratch your head in front of people. So instead of trying some commercial treatment available in the market, use these powerful and popular home remedies to eliminate the itchiness right from your scalp.
But before using these home remedies, make sure you check for the exact cause of your itchiness. Carefully observe the texture of your scalp. Be clear on the reasons behind the dryness. Is it because of the normal dandruff or lice? Or because of some regular reasons like sweating? If yes, then you can actively follow the below mentioned home remedies.
Why is my scalp dry and itchy?
The most common reason behind dry and itchy skin on the scalp is due to infections such as dandruff and psoriasis. But if the itching gets severe and is painful, it is better to consult a dermatologist.
What to use for dry and itchy scalp?
Itching and scratching is not only painful but can also result in excess hair fall. Therefore, it is better to solve the condition as soon as possible. Here are top 10 effective home remedy for quickly treating dry and itchy scalp.
1. Dry itchy scalp remedy using Lemon Juice
Lemons contain antiseptic properties, which makes it a great remedy for a dry, itchy scalp. It helps you get rid of the dandruff causing bacteria and fungus.
- Apply some fresh lemon juice slowly on the scalp area.
- Leave it in for about 5 minutes
- Rinse and shampoo your hair.
- If you are not suffering from dandruff, dilute this lemon juice in water before use.
Alternatively, you can use a mixture of lemon and yogurt instead of plain lemon juice.
2. Use Apple Cider Vinegar as a natural home remedy for dry itchy scalp
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties that prevent the infections caused by bacteria, virus or fungus. It also helps unclog the pores of hair follicles for the growth of these harmful microbes. It balances the pH levels of the scalp in order to prevent itchiness, dandruff, and dryness on the scalp. It also behaves as a mild conditioner that provides the required moisturization to the scalp and hair.
- Mix half a cup of Apple Cider Vinegar with equal amount of water.
- Massage it well into your scalp and then leave it on for some 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat this everyday for few weeks until you start seeing results.
3. Best dry scalp treatment with Baking Soda
Baking Soda is a powerful disinfectant. It helps relieve infection, itchiness and hair fall by exfoliating the scalp and controlling dandruff resulted due to fungal effect. It also neutralizes the pH level of the scalp and prevents it from drying.
- Add water to two tablespoons of baking soda and stir to get a consistent paste.
- Part your hair in different sections and apply a few drops of olive oil before spreading the paste on your scalp
- Mask your hair with the paste and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse out the mixture using cold water. For early and better results, repeat this method regularly – once or twice a week.
4. Treat your dry scalp naturally with Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil is an excellent home remedy to get rid of dry and itchy scalp. It is equally helpful for treating ingrown hair on scalp. Enriched with antibacterial properties, coconut oil is considered a powerful yet healthy method to kill off the Malassezia fungus which causes dandruff.
- Take some virgin coconut oil and rub it thoroughly into your scalp (make sure you clean your scalp before the application)
- Leave it on for about 30 minutes
- Then you wash it out by using a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a week unless you see some results.
5. Get rid of dry and itchy scalp with Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is well-known for its healing properties. Being a great skin moisturizer, aloe vera make a great home remedy and easy and safe way to get a relief from a dry itchy scalp. Aloe vera is good not only for your scalp, but also for your hair.
- Extract the gel from freshly cut aloe leaf
- Apply this gel to your scalp by using your fingers
- Let it sit on your scalp for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
6. Olive Oil home remedy for itchy scalp
Olive oil has anti-inflammatory and skin protectant properties. These help in healing the inflammation on the scalp resulted from excess scratching and itchiness.
- Warm some olive oil and add 1 – 2 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Massage this oil thoroughly into your whole scalp.
- Wrap your head with a towel or head mask and leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse off and use shampoo to remove the excess oil.
7. Natural dry scalp treatment with Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree Oil is one of the potent natural agent and a very good home remedy for dry scalp. It has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, which will help cure itchy scalp. There are many uses for Tea Tree Oil. Some of them include making of homemade products for cleaning, healing skin problems, curing viral infections, and getting rid of dandruff.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil with a tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil.
- Massage it well into your scalp and affected areas
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
The smell of Tea Tree Oil is a little bit strong, so you may want to do this before bed or when you’re at home.
8. Honey – a natural remedy for your dry scalp
Honey is one of the potential natural ingredients that can act as a panacea for many skin problems, including an itchy and dry scalp. There have been many studies into the antimicrobial effects of honey and they have found that honey can destroy the bacteria and fungus that cause itching on the skin.
- Wash and leave your hair damp.
- Dilute raw honey in some warm water (9:1 ratio).
- Use this mixture to massage into your scalp for like 2 – 3 minutes.
- Wrap your head with a warm towel and leave for 2 hours.
- Repeat this treatment once a week for couple of weeks unless the symptoms of an itchy and dry scalp is completely gone.
9. Avocado and banana mixture for treating dry and itchy scalp
Bananas and avocados work together brilliantly to treat dry and itchy scalp. They are extremely nourishing and moisturizing, so they can reduce the flakes, inflammation and dryness of the scalp. Avocados are rich in antioxidants, and keep the skin cells on your scalp happy and healthy. Bananas, on the other hand, are especially great for conditioning the scalp and hair.
- Mash and blend together 2 bananas with 1 avocado.
- Apply this mixture evenly over your scalp.
- Leave it on for some 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat this method until the itching subsides.
10. Use Sesame Seed Oil and get rid of the dry itchy scalp
The sesame oil has exceptionally good lubricating and nourishing properties which helps you in quick healing of the itchy scalp. Follow these easy steps to apply sesame seed oil onto your dry scalp to nourish it once again:
- Take a good amount of the sesame seed oil
- Heat it up gently.
- Apply this warm oil onto your scalp and massage thoroughly for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wrap your head with a warm towel
- Leave it for about 10 minutes and take off the towel.
- Rinse off your hair & scalp thoroughly with shampoo the next morning.
- Repeat this remedy as long as you find it necessary.
An itchy scalp can be both irritating and embarrassing. However, it not something to be ashamed of or worry about. It can easily be cured using simple home remedies.
Looking for hair breakage and split ends remedy? Here are 10 effective natural remedy to get rid of split ends permanently!