The skin on your lips are soft and sensitive than that on your face. And therefore, you need to give them a lot of attention and care if you want them to stay healthy. Drying of lips in winter is a common problem and can be solved with simple DIY steps at home.
Why is my lips dry and chapped?
Dry and chapped lips can occur due to many reasons from smoking, dehydration, vitamin deficiency, pollution, and overexposure to sun rays to excessive use of chemicals (cheap and harmful cosmetic products). Of all time in the year, winters are the more vulnerable for your lips and you need to give special care and attention to protect them from drying. It is important to treat dry lips at the earliest possible because if left untreated it can worsen the situation leading to bleeding lips.
What’s good for chapped lips?
Lip balms are the most commonly employed solution for dry and chapped lips. However, the effectiveness is limited to a short period and you need to reapply them quite often to retain that moist effect. Moreover, the chemicals used in the lip balm like phenols, menthol and salicylic acid can result to allergies on the skin or extended dryness. This is the reason why it is better to use natural remedy because of their amazing healing effect and zero side effects.
You can try these simple and easy home remedies which are quite effective.
1. Chapped lips treatment with Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is rich in naturally healing agents with anti-inflammatory properties. It is a natural moisturizer that lock in moisture and keeps your lips hydrated for long. So this hygroscopic property of aloe vera helps in moisturizing your dry lips.
- Cut an aloe leaf and squeeze out the fresh gel off it.
- Take a small amount of the gel and apply it on your chapped lips.
- Leave it to dry there and then wash it off after some times.
- Repeat this process regularly unless you get some commendable results.
2. Cucumber as an easy home remedy for chapped lips
Cucumber is an easy cure for chapped lips with excellent hydrating properties. It helps cure the flakiness and dryness of the skin when used regularly for some times.
- Cut down a cucumber to slices
- Take a slice and rub it gently on your dry lips.
- Alternatively, mash 1-2 cucumber slice and apply the mask on your lips.
- Keep it on for around 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat daily to get a fast result.
3. Lip care in winter with Milk Cream
Milk cream is a natural skin softener that works excellently for dried lips. It helps in exfoliating the dead skin cells and regaining the lustrous and smooth lips.
- Take some fresh milk cream and gently apply it on your lips.
- Leave it on for some 10 to 15 minutes.
- Soak a cotton ball into lukewarm water and gently clean your lips with it.
- Apply this remedy daily to get a faster recovery from your chapped lips.
4. Honey – best cure for chapped lips
Honey has natural antibacterial properties great for treating dry skin and lips. Honey will keep your lips nourished by locking in moisture and turn them smooth and plum once again.
- Apply a layer of honey on your lips.
- Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes.
- Dip a cotton ball into lukewarm water and use it to wipe off the honey from your lips.
For fast recovery, apply vaseline on top of honey and you will see amazing results.
5. Treat your cracked lips with Green Tea
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and tannins that help in healing the dry and chapped lips. It also helps in relaxing the sense buds on your lips which might be hurting due to the dryness.
- Take some hot water and dip a green tea bag in it for a few minutes.
- Pull out the tea bag and let it cool down for some time
- Gently dab this tea bag on the lips.
- Keep on doing this for a few minutes.
6. Lemon for smooth lips
Lemon juice is a natural and effective treatment for dry and chapped lips. Lemon acts as an exfoliating agent to scrub out dry and dead skin of your lips. It will also help in nourishing the sensitive lip skin and make it softer and smoother.
- Add a teaspoon of cream or milk to few ml of lemon juice.
- Mix them together to make a consistent paste.
- Refrigerate it for an hour, then take it out.
- Apply the mixture on your lips everyday before bed.
- Continue for few days to see the best results.
7. Rose water or rose petals as a natural cure for chapped lips
Rose or rosewater both acts as excellent nourishing agent to quickly revitalize your dry, chapped lips. Rose, rich in vitamin E contents, possesses excellent antioxidant and antibacterial properties that readily treats the dryness of the skin. It also help to preserve the natural color of your lips.
- If you’re using rose water, mix together a tablespoon each of rose water and honey to make a consistent paste
- Alternatively, if you are using rose petals, soak some petals in milk for 2-3 hours and mash them together to get a paste.
- Apply this paste on your lips. Leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
8. Use Sugar for getting rid of chapped lips naturally
Sugar is an excellent exfoliating agent that scrubs out the dead cells in your chapped lips and also helps in restoring the softness of your lips, naturally. It helps you to get rid of the dry, flaky layer and restore the moisture in your lips making them soft and supple.
- Take a tablespoon of sugar and add a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Mix them well together.
- Rub this mixture gently on your lips
- Leave it for 10 minutes or so, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
9. Treat dry, cracked lips with Cocoa butter or Clarified butter
Cocoa butter, clarified butter or butter extracted from different sources are rich in essential fatty acids so they act as an excellent conditioning and rehydrating agent for your skin.
- Apply enough cocoa butter on your lips before bed and leave it on overnight.
- Alternatively, you can also ghee (clarified butter) and leave it on overnight as well.
- Early in the morning, rinse off the remaining with lukewarm water.
10. Jojoba Oil – your easy home remedy for chapped and dry lips
Jojoba Oil is a natural remedy and immediate cure for chapped lips. This oil helps in moisturizing your lips by nourishing the lip skin cells. It also helps in building up new and healthy skin.
- This is a very simple and easy remedy. Put a few drops of the jojoba oil to a cotton ball.
- Gently dab it on the affected area.
- Leave it on for around 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
If you want to an effective, long lasting and economic solution, you must definitely try these home remedies and get relief from your dry chapped lips.
Choose a most feasible remedy for yourself and continue with it unless you see some great results. Get back your baby-soft lips in no time.