During summer, we tend to be extra careful on putting sunscreen so that we are not tanned due to over-exposure to the sun. This doesn’t mean winters are safe without sunscreen but it’s just that we are extra active putting sunscreen again and again due to heavy sunshine. While we put dollops of sunscreen on face and body, we often overlook our lips. Our lips are too sensitive and gets tanned and burned.
Sunburned lips can be symptomized as swelling of the lip skin, lips being much red in color than normal, blisters on the lips etc. But worry no more. Below we have listed 10 awesome and easy home remedies to deal with sunburned lips. Choose your favorite remedy and get along with it for healthier and glossier lips.
1. Use tomatoes to treat sunburn lips
Tomatoes consist of lycopene which is great to fight against harmful UV rays. It is one of the easy and safe home remedies to get rid of sunburn lips.
- Take a tomato and cut it into two halves.
- Now, scrub your lips with halved tomato and leave it for 30 minutes
- Then, rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat daily for quick recovery.
2. Coconut oil is good for sunburn lips
The moisturizing property, rich in saturated fats and antioxidant component of coconut oil makes it great to treat sunburned lips. It also works best to treat dry and chapped lips.
- Take some amount of extra virgin coconut on your fingertips.
- Rub it gently between your fingers to warm it.
- Apply it onto your lips and massage gently.
- Repeat multiple times a day.
3. Cucumber slices for tanned lips
Cucumber helps to relieve from irritation and pain caused due to sunburn. It also lightens the dark spots on lips and helps to get rid of blisters.
- Take few slices of fresh cucumber.
- Keep it in freezer for few minutes and then apply it on the affected area.
- Leave it till it gets warm.
- Repeat daily for best result.
4. Turmeric to get rid of sunburned lips
Turmeric consist of antiseptic properties along with curcumin which helps to reduce and heal pain and sunburn blisters on your lips.
- In a bowl, put a tablespoon of turmeric paste and little water to make a fine consistent paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas.
- Leave for about 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat daily till you get rid of blisters.
5. Honey heals sunburned lips
Honey helps to heal the sunburned lips faster due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apply raw honey directly to the affected areas.
- Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat daily for best result.
6. Aloe Vera works best for suntan lips
Aloe vera is one of the popular remedies to deal with sunburned lips. The healing process is quicker and it’s very hydrating as well.
- Extract the aloe vera gel from an aloe plant.
- Either apply it directly on your lips or keep it in a freezer for few minutes then apply to have cooling effect.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes then rinse off with water.
- Repeat daily for visible result.
7. Treat sunburned lips with potatoes
Potatoes are not only great to lighten tanned lips but are also great to decrease pain and inflammation.
- Take a raw potato slice and rub it directly on affected areas.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes then rinse off with cold water.
- Repeat everyday till you get desired result.
8. Chamomile tea fight against sunburn lips
Chamomile tea is another great remedy to cure sunburned lips. It has soothing effect to treat blisters.
- Soak a chamomile tea bag in water.
- Keep the water in freezer for few minutes and apply it on the tanned lips areas.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with cold water.
9. Vitamin E gets rid of suntan lips
Vitamin E is great to treat sunburns. It helps to regenerate the cells and lightens tanned lips.
- Take a vitamin E capsule and apply few drops directly onto your lips.
- Massage gently and leave it overnight.
- Repeat every day before bed and rinse off in the morning.
10. Heal sunburn with cold compress
Cold compress is one of the instant remedies to cool down sunburned lips. It reduces the inflammation and pain caused due to sunburn in your lips.
- In a bowl, put some ice and let it melt for a while.
- Now, soak a clean small towel in an icy water.
- Squeeze out the water and put the towel onto your lips.
- Let it sit till the towel starts to warm up.
- Repeat everyday till you are relieved from the pain.
So, next time you become a victim of sunburned lips, do try any of the feasible remedies mentioned above. But there are also some precautions that can help you to not become a victim. Some include using lip balm frequently on lip areas (with SPF 30 or more), avoiding direct sun exposure, wearing a hat or cap to protect your lips from direct sunlight. Prevention is better than cure. So, like other body parts, take care of your lips as well.