Dandruff on the eyelashes and eyebrows are similar to dandruff on the scalp with white flakes and crusts.
Though not dangerous, it does need your attention as it can cause problems such as eye irritation, itchy and burning sensation on eyelashes and eyebrows.
There are many simple home remedies that you can use to treat this condition.
Here are 10 best treatments for eyelash dandruff at home:
1. Almond Oil for eyelash dandruff treatment
Almond oil is a great source to combat the effects of different problems related to hair. Almond oil helps to remove dead skin cells around your eyes that could lead to dandruff. In addition to that, it nourishes and moisturizes the hair follicles and promotes new eyelash and growth of eyebrow hair.
- Take a tablespoon of almond oil in a bowl and heat it for some time.
- Gently massage this warm oil on your lashes and brows before going to bed.
- Leave it on overnight.
- Early next morning, wash it off with cool water.
- Repeat this remedy everyday.
2. Olive Oil – an easy home remedy for eyelash dandruff
One of the main reasons behind the occurrence of dandruff on your eyelashes and eyebrows could be dryness. Retaining moisture can help overcome the problem. And for this, you can use olive oil which has great moisturizing effect that can easily hydrate the skin around your lashes and brows and help you get rid of the dandruff.
- Heat up the olive oil for a few seconds.
- Then, gently massage this warm oil onto your eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Now, soak a clean washcloth in warm water and place it over your eyes.
- Leave it on your eyes for about 15 minutes.
- Use some lukewarm water to wash off the oil.
- Follow this routine everyday.
3. Coconut oil for removing eyelash dandruff
Coconut oil is a powerful moisturizer with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial compounds that treats dryness, itchiness and irritation problems. Applying coconut oil to your eyelashes and eyebrows protect from skin infections that leads to dandruff.
- Take a a little amount of coconut oil in your clean mascara brush.
- Now, apply the oil on your lash line areas and eyebrows.
- Leave it overnight then rinse off thoroughly with warm water.
- Repeat daily for best results.
4. Castor Oil treatment for eyelash dandruff
Castor oil is an ancient and one of the most effective remedies for getting thick and nice eyebrows. In addition to this, it also help you in getting rid of the dandruff in brows and lashes.
As it contains proteins, fatty acids, antioxidants and vitamins, it moisturizes the dry skin and hair follicles, therefore preventing the cause of dandruff formation.
- Take a few drops of castor oil into your hand and apply it to your eyebrows and eyelashes using your fingertips.
- Keep it on for about 30 minutes.
- Then wipe off using a makeup remover, and thoroughly wash your face with lukewarm water.
Note: Pure castor oil may cause irritation, and rashes to your skin if you are allergic to it. So before you apply it directly, perform a patch test.
5. Remove eyelash dandruff with Tea Tree Oil
Most of the time, the eyelash dandruff is caused by a fungus called Malassezia. And therefore, the tree tea oil with powerful antifungal properties can play a vital role in getting rid of this fungus and the dandruff that is there on your eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Pour a teaspoon of tea tree oil in a bowl and heat it for a few seconds.
- Using a sterile cotton ball apply this warm oil to your eyelashes and eyebrows.
- Let it be there for some 10 minutes before washing it off with tepid water.
- Repeat daily for best results.
6. Aloe Vera Gel – a natural remedy for eyelash dandruff
Aloe vera gel is a great ingredient that can do wonder when applied to treat any kind of skin and hair aliments. It also acts as a threat to dandruff. It gets rid of the bacteria and fungus causing the eyelash dandruff and also soothes the associated irritation and redness. Moreover, it stimulates the hair follicles and promotes the growth of new hair.
- Extract gel from a fresh aloe leaf and apply it thoroughly to your lash line and eyebrows using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for a couple of minutes before washing it off with some tepid water.
- Repeat this remedy daily.
7. Eliminate eyelash dandruff at home with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a powerful natural remedy for getting rid of dandruff on eyelash and eyebrow because of the presence of citric acid in it. The citric acid acts as an antimicrobial agent that helps you get rid of any possible fungal infection causing the dandruff.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice in one-fourth cup of water.
- Apply this solution to your closed lashes and brows using a cotton ball.
- Let the lemon juice solution sit for 5 minutes.
- Wash off the solution with cold water.
- Follow this routine two times a day.
8. Salt home remedy for eyelash dandruff
It may seem strange to apply salt around your eyes but it actually works pretty well in getting rid of the eyelash dandruff. It cleanses the clogged pores, and absorbs the excess oil causing the dandruff build up on your lash line and eyebrows, and preventing fungal infection that could lead to dandruff.
- To a ¼ cup of water, add a tablespoon of salt and mix it until the salt dissolves completely in water.
- Closing your eyes, apply this salt water to your lashes and eyebrows
- Gently exfoliate with your fingers.
- Then wash off the residue with some cold water.
- Repeat this routine everyday.
9. Get rid of eyelash dandruff using Petroleum Jelly
The dandruff on eyelashes and eyebrows that is caused by dry skin can be treated with petroleum jelly. The reason behind why petroleum jelly can help combat this problem is simple. It is because the gel helps in moisturizing your skin and prevent the skin from drying and flaking off as dandruff.
- Take a bit of the petroleum jelly and apply it on your lash line and eyebrows with the help of your fingers before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning with tepid water.
- Continue the routine every night.
10. Warm Compress for dandruff treatment in eyelashes
Applying warm compress not only helps to get rid of dandruff on your eyelashes areas, but it also provides immediate relief from itchiness, dryness and irritation on your eyes.
- In a bowl, take some warm water and soak a piece of towel or cotton eye-pads for a few minutes.
- Now place the pads/towel over your eyes.
- Leave it on for about 10-15 minutes (you can re-soak if the towel/pad gets cold) .
- Repeat on a daily basis.
While you follow the above mentioned techniques for removal of dandruff from your eyelashes and eyebrows, do make sure to maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid heavy makeup. Doing this will help you get improved results.
Also, here are top 10 home remedies to get rid of hair dandruff in one wash!