Age spots are the flat brown spots that appears on your skin as you start aging. These spots are common visible on face, back of your hands, necks, shoulder and upper back area.
Age spots are not harmful. However, they are ugly and can make you look older. That’s why many of us want to get rid of these. Though there are a number of medical treatment that can help remove these age spots, each one can have potential side effects. And no wonder, the costs of the treatment is high.
What causes age spots on face?
There is no exact reason behind the occurrence of age spots. There are many factors that can be contributing. One reason can be the overactive pigment cells, aka melanin, that are stimulated by ultraviolet (UV) rays from sun. Another reason can be the accumulation of damaged cells on skin surface over the years of exposure to the sun. If you have a fair complexion, these can be the prominent marks on your skin. Age spots can be expected in people who spend a lot of time in the sun or are exposed to other source of UV lights.
How to treat age spots?
Here in this article, I’ve come with top 10 amazing home remedies that works fantastically to reduce the age spots. These natural cure are very economic and can be easily created at home using ingredients from your kitchen. Also, you should not worry about the side effects and possible complications.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar as a home remedy for age spots
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) works amazingly for age spots. It contains alpha-hydroxy acid which is included in many skin-care products. This natural essential is a great exfoliator that helps the skin to rejuvenate itself while keeping it firm and fresh. Dabbing diluted ACV on affected areas and keeping it overnight will give you great results.
You can also mix a little olive oil to it if your skin feels extremely dry. With continued use of this remedy for three to four weeks you should notice a visible difference.
- Dilute a little apple cider vinegar with pure water
- Apply it to your age spots.
- Rinse it after 20 minutes.
- Use this remedy everyday.
If you use it without the dilution, you may experience a stinging feel at first (just like you would with a toner). In case if you have sensitive skin, dilute it with water before the application.
2. Best treatment for age spots with Potatoes
Potatoes are natural bleaching agents. Its juice is rich in acidic properties making it an effective remedy for removing age spots and blemishes and freckles. It makes a powerful recipe for eliminating the brown age spots when potato juice is mixed with lemon juice, and honey.
- Thoroughly wash a potato thoroughly by removing any green spots or sprouts.
- Grate it and place the shreds in a linen cloth
- Gently squeeze out the juice. You can also use a juicer.
- Add 3 drops of lemon juice and couple a drops of organic honey to the potato juice and mix well.
- Apply this liquid mixture on the age spots and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing.
3. Remove age spots from your skin using Lemon Juice
Lemons are one of the most impressive remedies when it comes to naturally lightening age spots and any skin condition. The citric acid present in the lemon juice helps in safely removing the dead and damaged skin cells and replacing them by new layers of skin that is healthy and glowing.
In case if you have extra sensitive skin, applying lemon on your skin can cause irritation and redness. In such case, you can try out one of the other home remedies, or try diluting lemon juice with rosewater first.
Note: Do not expose your skin to sunlight immediately after the application. This can cause the skin to darken more.
- Slice up a lemon and rub one of these onto your age spots. You may store the remaining slices in the refrigerator for later use.
- Let the lemon juice work for about 15 minutes.
- Then rinse the area with clean water.
- Repeat the process 2 times a day until age spots diminish considerably.
4. Get rid of age spots with Onion juice remedy
The sulfur compounds present in onions act as an antiseptic. The acidic content in onion juice also helps exfoliate the dead and damaged skin cells. People who are intolerant to lemon juice can use onion juice as a great alternative.
- Slice up an onion and rub them over the affected area two or three times a day.
- Alternatively, you can mix one tablespoon of onion juice with two tablespoons of honey and apply it on the age spots. Leave it on for about 15 minutes and then wash it off thoroughly with plain water in order to remove the strong pungent smell of onion. Repeat this technique for once or twice a day.
5. Papaya – a natural age spot remover
The alpha hydroxy acids and certain enzymes in papaya can help exfoliate the skin in addition to reducing blemishes, age spots, and many other skin related problems. It will also enhance your complexion with more glowing effect.
However, some people can be allergic to it so it is advised to take a patch test before the application. For a patch test, simply apply the below mentioned remedy on a small area of the skin, then wait for 24 hours. If you experience no negative reaction, you may proceed using the treatment.
- Take a green papaya and cut a thin slice of its skin.
- Now use the fleshy side of the skin to press your age spots for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use the cut papaya into pieces and press out the pulp with a fork or potato masher. Apply this pulpy goodness to your age spots using your fingers and allow the mask to sit for 15 minutes before washing. Use this method daily.
6. Natural treatment for age spots using Horseradish
Horseradish is a enriched with the goodness of Vitamin C. This vitamin helps to slow down the production of melanin – body secretion that is responsible for skin pigmentation. You will also find enough of glucosinolates in horseradish. Glucosinolates promotes blood circulation, helps flush out wastes from the body and also acts as a natural antioxidant.
- A paste of horseradish can do magic to your age spots. Just apply the paste directly to the skin and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then wash it off with clean water. Use it multiple times a week.
- Alternatively, grate a piece of horseradish and add one-quarter cup of apple cider vinegar to it. Then allow the mixture to settle for two weeks. At the end of two weeks, strain the mixture. Use a sterile cotton ball to apply it on the affected areas of your skin. Using this remedy three times a day for a month will show you amazing results.
7. Yogurt remedy for naturally removing the ugly age spots
Yogurt is not only the rich source of lactic acid, but also offers mild bleaching properties that can help in making the skin lighter and brighter. It helps you get rid of those ugly age spots by fading them over time.
- Add two tbsp each of yogurt and ground oatmeal and pour a tsp of freshly squeezed lime juice to the bowl
- Mix all the ingredients well to form a nice consistent paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected areas and let it sit for about 30 minutes
- Rinse with cold water, pat dry and apply moisturizer.
- Use this remedy every day for a week, followed by twice each week for 2-3 months for the optimum results.
8. Use Sandalwood to cure the age spots on your skin
Sandalwood is a natural ingredient that is believed have effective anti-aging properties. It is considered as a potential remedy for reducing the appearance of age spots on your skin.
- You can either use few drops of pure sandalwood essential oil to massage onto your age spots.
- Or, simply mix a pinch of sandalwood powder with few drops each of rose water , glycerin and lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your age spots and leave it to dry for about 20 minutes. Then rinse off with cold water and pat dry.
9. How Buttermilk acts as a effective panacea for age spots
The lactic acid content in buttermilk helps to restore and rejuvenate your skin, reducing the age spots and making it much soft, supple and healthier.
You will need a small bowl of buttermilk and a cotton ball for this home treatment process.
- Take a sterile cotton ball and dip it into the bowl of buttermilk
- Squeeze it to shed off excess buttermilk.
- Gently apply this cotton ball onto your age spots
- Let it sit for about 15 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process everyday until the spots fade.
Note: For acne prone skin add a few drops of lime juice to the buttermilk before use.
10. Aloe Vera to remove age spots
Aloe vera is an effective remedy for many skin ailments, including poison oak and stinging nettles, eczema, age spots and more. It provides both moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in keeping the skin young, fresh and hydrated.
- Cut off one of the aloe leaves and extract the fresh gel from inside of it
- Gently rub this gel onto your age spots.
- Allow it dry in your skin naturally. There is no need to rinse. It can feel a little bit sticky so if you have an urge to wash it off, just be sure to let it sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process twice a day unless you get the results.
It is possible to get rid of the age spots with natural remedies. But it requires your commitment and continuity unless you see the results. It will take time and your patience to witness the results. The natural treatment process works slowly, so sticking with it over time will give you amazing results. It may take from several days to weeks and even months, to notice the changes.
In order to prevent yourself from getting age spots, avoid exposure to excess sunlight. Always shield your skin with sunscreen. Doing this will prevent both possible and prevailing age spots from further darkening. Bleaching the spotted skin with natural ingredients won’t last long if you become careless and expose your skin to harmful rays that caused the damage again.
Also, discover 10 amazing homemade tips for open pores remedy on face!