If you’ve noticed, children have the most beautiful skin and true complexion. We all have had the same smooth skin once. But with time, our skin cells grew old, dull, damaged and dark. This is mainly because of the over-exposure to dust, dirt and lack of proper attention that’s required for our skin.
Why is my knee and elbow dark?
One reason for dark skin around knee and elbow areas is because there are no oil glands there. Therefore, these areas dry out very easily and collect a lot of dirt and impurities which are difficult to remove. Exposure to Sun (UV radiation) and elasticity of skin buildup dead skin cells and contribute to dark knees and elbows.
How to get rid of my dark knees and elbows?
Darker knees and elbows are easily noticed on your body and can be one reason for your decreasing confidence in possible wearables (especially shorts and sleeveless). However, it is not a curse and you don’t have to live with it. There are ways in which it can be lightened. Here are 10 such home remedies for dark knee and elbow treatment.
1. Aloe vera as a home remedy for dark skin around knee and elbow
Aloe vera helps to keep your skin cells hydrated and moisturized. It is also a natural skin lightening agent with antioxidant properties. It helps maintain an even skin tone by repairing skin cells that are damaged by overexposure to sun rays. All in all, it makes your skin smooth and supple. Aloe vera is often used as an intimate bleaching agent too as it is all organic and safe.
- Cut a fresh Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel inside.
- Apply it to the knees and elbows and leave it for some 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat everyday for a few weeks for the best results.
You can also mix honey with aloe vera for better results.
2. Baking Soda for naturally white knees and elbows
Baking soda is natural cleanser and is therefore, effective treatment for dark knees and elbows. It scrubs away the dead skin cells and also reduces the pigmentation that can form around your knees and elbows.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with equal amount of milk to make an even paste.
- Apply the mixture on your elbow and knee area and gently massage it around in circular motions for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Wash it off well with warm water and pat dry using a clean towel.
- Repeat this process every alternative day until you get the desired results.
3. Turmeric Powder – a herbal remedy for dark knees and elbows
Turmeric is a herbal skin lightening agent and a great solution for dark knees and elbows. Turmeric’s healing properties can also be used as a natural antiseptic to treat skin related problems.
- Mix turmeric with milk and honey to make a thick paste
- Apply it to the affected areas and leave it for about 20 minutes.
- Use wet fingers and massage for 2 minutes
- Rinse with warm water and mild soap
- Repeat this for 2-3 times a week for optimum results.
Note: Never keep turmeric paste on your skin for very long. It may stain your skin. However, there’s nothing serious to worry about. The stain will fade away in couple of days.
4. Lemon for dark elbow and knee treatment
Lemon is a natural bleaching and exfoliating agent. It can be used as a simplest and easiest home remedy for dark knees and elbows.
- Cut two large lemon in halves and use them on each of your elbow and knee.
- Apply by rubbing these lemon halves to each elbow and knee. Make sure you squeeze all the juice out on the darker portion.
- Since this could be a messy process so it is suggested to be performed at a place where the surface can be easily washed off, like your bathroom.
- Continue every day for a week or two to get some stunning results.
Lemon also has a natural healing properties so helps to cure the cracking and dryness of the skin.
5. Lighten dark knee/ elbow with Natural Oils
Natural Oils have skin lightening essentials in them and are therefore a great remedy for dark skin cells. Olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil are rich in minerals, fatty acids, and other nutrients that helps in nourishing the skin. These even repair dark and damaged skin.
- Apply one of the natural oils on your knees and elbows and massage it gently for about 1 to 2 minutes. Why massaging, rub it in circles around the affected area.
- Alternatively, you can use a mixture of oil and lemon juice. Mix 1 teaspoon of natural oil with half a teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub this mixture on your dark skins around elbows and knees.
- Leave it for 10-20 minutes. Then wipe it off with paper towels.
- Do this once daily.
You can also use walnut as a scrubber to the above mixture. 1 tablespoon of walnut powder will be enough to make a thick paste. Use it to scrub off the dark skin patches around your knees and elbows. Apply the solution 2 or 3 times a week for better result.
6. Gram Flour and Yogurt for even toned knees and elbows
Gram flour or chickpea flour is another remedy for dark knees and elbows. It contains essential vitamins and minerals to nurture the skin, and also helps exfoliate the dead skin cells and blemishes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of gram flour to some yogurt to make a thick consistent paste.
- Apply the mixture to knees and elbows and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rub around in circles for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat everyday for few weeks to see best results.
Note: If you have a dry skin, it is recommended to replace yogurt with fresh cream. If you have an oily skin, replace it with milk.
7. Potatoes – a natural remedy to get rid of dark knee and elbow
Potatoes contain natural bleaching agents that lightens and reduces spots on your body. When applied on a regular basis, it will help maintain your skin tone.
- Bake potatoes till they are cooked properly and are easily breakable.
- Mash the cooked potatoes in a bowl and mix it with yogurt to make a nice paste.
- Apply the mixture to your knees and elbows and leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash off well with warm water.
- Perform this regularly unless you see some significant result.
8. Papaya – a home remedy to lighten dark knees and elbows
Papaya is another natural remedy for darker skin; especially dark knees and elbows. It contains many natural essentials that helps in lightening and moisturizing the skin.
- Cut a papaya into small pieces.
- Mash a few portion of this with water to make a nice paste.
- Apply the paste to your knees and elbows and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Store the remaining papaya pieces in refrigerator for future use.
- Repeat every alternative day for a few weeks for better result.
9. Use of Honey to treat your dark skin
Honey can act as a natural treatment for the dark skin of the elbows and knees. It also has natural antibiotic properties which makes it more effective remedy.
- Either apply plain honey on your elbows to reduce the darkness. However, the stickiness in honey will make it difficult for the application and will take time.
- Alternatively, what you can do is mix one big tablespoon of honey with equal amount of milk and turmeric.
- Apply this paste on the dark areas around the knees and elbows
- Rub the mixture evenly in circles and wait for about half an hour.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do this once every week for best results.
You can also mix honey with Aloe Vera (instead of milk+turmeric) in the same way as mentioned above.
10. Mint extracts as dark elbow/knee remedy
Mint is best for fresh breath, but its useful is not limited to that. It is also helpful for dark elbows and knees. Some natural properties in mint helps to lighten and whiten the skin.
- In a vessel, boil some mint leaves. If possible, grind the leaves on a mixer.
- Add a few drops of lemon extracts to it.
- Dip a piece of cotton in the mixture and apply around the elbows and knee area.
- Leave it for about half an hour. Then, wash it off with warm water.
- Continue for some time to see considerable changes.
Having an even skin tone adds beauty to your body and enhances your confidence to be in your skin. Try out these tips and let us know how it worked for you in the comment section below. We’d be happy to hear from you.
Are you also looking for secrets to glow you skin naturally? Well here are top 10 natural tips to glow your skin instantly!