Winters are not only about chills and bone freezing cold but also about chapped lips and dry skin. It is the time of the year when your skin needs a lot of care and attention. When neglected, it is backed up with dryness, allergies, itchiness and redness of skin. Most of us depend on chemical panacea for these problems but home remedies can best solve skin related issues and when done right, it will give you better and healthier skin.
Here are top 10 simple and easy home remedies for treating dry skin in winter:
1. Milk and Almond for winter skin care
Almonds are good for your skin as they are rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, whereas milk is a wonderful skin moisturizer. The acid content and enzymes present in milk will help exfoliate your skin to make it soft and supple.
- Add 1 tablespoon of almond power to 2 tablespoon of raw milk
- Mix together to make a paste
- Apply it as a face mask.
- Keep it for 10 minutes.
- Massage gently and wash off with water with lukewarm water.
This face pack will reduce dryness and make your skin soft and glowing.
2. Olive Oil to solve dry skin problem in winter
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and healthy fatty acids that are good for your skin. Use of olive oil can soothe and recondition dry skin cells all over your body.
- Apply a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil before your moisturizer for everyday use.
- Rub some olive oil on your dry skin areas including hands and legs and massage thoroughly before taking a shower. Then apply a light moisturizer after the shower.
- Alternatively, mix two tablespoons of olive oil with four tablespoons of fine brown sugar, and one tablespoon of honey to form a homemade scrub. Rub this scrub on your dry skin in circular motions for a few minutes. Take a shower and apply a light moisturizer.
The Vitamin E in Olive oil lends elasticity to your skin, making it plum and greasy.
3. Lemon and Honey for winter skin care at home
Lemon is a good source of vitamin C and honey helps in soothing itchy, irritated skin because of its anti-inflammatory properties. So the mixture is a great remedy to battle with skin problems in cold winter months.
- Add two tablespoon of honey to juice of half a lemon
- Mix them well to come up with a even mixture
- Apply the mask on your face with a piece of cotton.
- Leave it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
4. Milk cream as a home remedy for dry skin
Milk cream is another excellent moisturizer. The essentials present in milk cream helps in exfoliating dry skin. Milk cream also help in preserving the pH level of your skin.
- Add few drops of lemon juice and one teaspoon of milk to two teaspoons of milk cream. Mix together all the ingredients to form a consistent paste. Rub it on affected areas – hands and legs. Leave it on for some time before you take a shower. Do this once daily.
- Alternatively, add adequate amount of milk cream to 3 – 4 tablespoons of gram (chickpea) flour to make a thick paste. Apply this paste on your face, hands, legs and all the affected areas. Leave it on for about 15 minutes or so and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this once daily.
5. Coconut Oil for dry skin care in winter
Coconut oil is a natural solution for treating dry skin. It makes the skins supple and naturally adds moisture to the skin. The fatty acids present in coconut oil prevents moisture loss. Applying coconut oil before bed helps in maintaining your skin health.
- Apply coconut oil and gently massage it on the affected areas until it gets absorbed into the skin.
- Do not wash off the oil. Just let it absorb completely.
- Repeat everyday for smooth, supple skin.
6. Use Glycerine to take care of skin in winter at home
Glycerine is an easy solution to solve various skin problems. It is a natural remedy for dry skin and has moisturizing essentials. It helps in making the skin soft because of its hydrating properties.
- Wash your face to get rid of the dirt and dust. Wipe off the water leaving it slightly damp.
- Pour few drops of glycerin to a cotton ball and apply it gently on your face (avoid areas around the eyes and the lips).
- Leave the glycerin to dry it on your face. Do not wash.
For convenience, use this remedy at night time before bed.
7. Egg Yolk for dry skin home remedy
The egg yolk (bright yellow part) contains natural elements that not only nourish your skin but also locks in the moisture.
- Crack open an egg and carefully transfer the egg yolk into a separate bowl.
- Mash down half of a banana to make a puree
- Add the egg yolk to the banana puree.
- Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil to this mixture.
- Mix together the ingredients to get a uniform thick paste.
- Apply a layer of this paste on your face and massage in circular motions.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and gently pat dry your skin.
Adding banana to the mixture will help mend extremely dry and flaky skin. You can use 2 or 3 drops of coconut oil for further moisturization.
8. Fresh Aloe vera gel as a treatment for dry skin in winter
Aloe vera is a natural soothing agent with antiseptic and antifungal properties that can help combat dry, irritated skin. It also helps prevent skin flaking.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf and squeeze out the fresh gel off it.
- Apply this gel on your skin; mainly on the affected areas.
- Leave it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice daily.
This simple home remedy will help moisturize your skin by forming a protective layer from dryness and keeping your skin free from any kind of impurities.
9. Use Yogurt to cure skin problems in cold winter months
Yogurt is an organic remedy for dry skin. It acts as a hydrating agent that locks moisture in the skin. The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in yogurt helps in soothing dry and itchy skin.
- Take few ml of fresh yogurt and apply it through the affected areas including face, hands and legs.
- Gently massage it in circular motion around your skin.
- Leave it on for around 10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. The mild exfoliating property of yogurt will help remove dry skin and leave it smooth and plum.
- Repeat this process once daily.
10. Avocado remedy for winter skin problems
Avocado is rich in fatty acids, vitamins and antioxidants that help improve skin tone from inside. The vitamin A present in it also helps in maintaining the skin’s elasticity and help repair the damaged cells to restore smooth and silky skin.
- Mash down an avocado pulp to make a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste all over your dry skin.
- Leave it on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process once daily.
In addition, you can also take in avocado smoothie on daily basis to upscale your healthy eating habits that maintains and promotes your skin health.
Follow these home remedies to prevent your skin from dryness and keep it healthy and glowing.
We’d also love to hear your take on these skin care tips and how these worked for you in the comment section below.