Healthy feet are signs of a healthy body. Dried and cracked feet are not only ugly but are equally painful. The dried skin accompanied by redness, itchiness, inflammation and peeling of the skin is common in cracked heels.
Reasons behind cracked heels
Feet skin cracking occurs as a result of the dryness and lack of moisture on the skin cells. Dryness causes the skin to break. Absence of moisturization, exposure to pollution, and some medical conditions such as diabetes, thyroid, eczema,and psoriasis lead to dry and cracked feet.
What is the best remedy for cracked heels?
It is a very common problem which occurs due to our carelessness and lack of proper attention. Taking precautions at right time in a right way can prevent cracks from getting worse and following the steps below will help cure your cracks and change them to a smooth and soft surface.
Here are top 10 home treatments for cracked heels:
1. Glycerin and Rose water for crack heels remedy
Glycerin helps to soften the dried skin cells. While the rosewater’s anti inflammatory and antiseptic properties helps in healing cracks.
- In a basin take some warm water and add raw salt,
- Add a tablespoon of glycerin and a teaspoon of rosewater. Soak your feet in the mixture for about 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub your heels and the sides of the feet using a foot scrubber.
- In another vessel, mix a teaspoon of glycerine, and a teaspoon of rosewater.
- Apply the mixture on your cracked feet. It can be sticky, so it is preferable that you use a pair of socks and leave it on overnight.
- Wash off the feet with lukewarm water the next morning.
2. Vegetable Oil to get rid of cracked heels
Vegetable oils are source of hydrogenated fats that helps in nourishing the skin and healing the cracks. There are several type of vegetable oils that you can use for the cracked skin including sesame oil, coconut oil, olive oil and others.
- Wash your feet properly and dry them using a clean towel.
- Take some vegetable oil and gently apply it on the cracked parts of your feet.
- To prevent the stickiness wear a pair of thick socks and leave it on overnight.
- Wash off your feet in the morning with lukewarm water.
3. Lemon with Vaseline or petroleum jelly for cracked heels
Acidic property of lemon helps to overcome the rough and dry skin cells whereas vaseline’s healing property helps you recover the dry and cracked feet.
- Clean your feet by soaking them in warm water for about 15-20 minutes. Rinse and dry with clean towel.
- Add a teaspoon of Vaseline to a bowl with few drops of lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture over your heels and other cracked parts of the feet unless absorbed completely.
- Wear a pair of thin socks to lock the moisture. Keep it on overnight and wash off in the morning.
You can even use woolen socks for more effective results. It helps trap the body heat and increase the potential of the remedy mixture.
4. Honey for crack-free feet
Honey is a natural antiseptic and a wonderful remedy for cracked heels. It heals the dryness of the feet and following consequences like itchiness and redness, and its soothing properties help in revitalizing the skin
- Add a cup of honey to half a bucket of warm water.
- Soak your feet in the mixture for about 15-20 minutes.
- Scrub and massage gently on areas with cracks.
- Rinse and dry off to obtain soft and supple feet.
5. Rice Flour treatment for cracked heels
Rice flour exfoliates, purifies, and rejuvenates the skin cells, making it soft and smooth. It can be used as a homemade scrub that helps remove the dead skin cells on your feet.
- Take a cup of ground rice in a bowl and add a few teaspoons of honey and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes a thick paste. (If your heels are extremely cracked, add a tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil.)
- Soak your feet in warm water for about 10 minutes before applying the rice flour scrub on the cracks.
- Repeat this for few weeks until you are satisfied with the results.
6. Brown Sugar Scrub to get rid of cracked heels
The small granules of brown sugar can do wonders to your dry cracked feet. It can act as a gentle scrub to wipe away the dead skin cells and give you healthier crack-free soft skin. Brown sugar is a natural humectant that attracts moisture from surrounding and locks it in your skin to keep it soft and smooth.
- Mix some brown sugar with honey, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Stir them together to get a thick sticky paste with consistency.
- Soak your feet in warm water for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then apply the mixture scrub on your feet and rub in circular motion.
- Continue until the sugar granules melt away.
- Wash off your feet with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week for better results.
7. Milk to cure cracked heels
Milk is a natural supplement rich in Vitamin A and other nutrients. It is also a good exfoliating agent. Milk can gently get rid off the dead skin cells and help grow new and glowing cells. It also hydrates your skin well and prevents dryness.
- Add milk to some warm water in a bucket or a foot basin.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add some sugar to coconut oil and mix well to make a consistent paste scrub.
- Apply this scrub to your feet and gently massage in circular motions through the area of cracks for about 5 minutes.
- When done, wash off your feet with warm water and pat them dry.
- Apply oil or glycerin-rosewater mixture for moisturization.
For better results, apply the remedy before bed.
8. Turmeric – best remedy for cracked heels
Turmeric is a herbal remedy for cracked feet that are resulted due to some foot infections. It is rich in antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add a teaspoon of coconut oil to a tablespoon of turmeric powder. Blend it together to make a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture to the cracked areas on your feet. Fill in the cracks properly.
- Leave it for about 25-30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and use mild soap if needed.
As turmeric will stain anything that comes in contact, be mindful to not step in anywhere with the mixture put on.
Note: Your feet will get a yellow tint when you apply turmeric and will run for few days even after you stop using it.
9. Parsely to treat crack heels
Parsley is a herb rich in nutrients. Vitamin C present in it helps in producing collagen that makes the skin smooth and soft. It also has Vitamin K that helps in increasing your skin’s elasticity and speeds up the wound healing process. Another agent called Beta-carotene in parsley helps in repairing dry and flaky skin.
- Chop the parsley into small pieces.
- Add it to some warm water in a foot basin.
- Soak your damaged feet in this for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat everyday unless you see some results.
10. Baking Soda – home remedy for crack heels
Baking soda is another helpful home remedy for cracked heels. It is used as a natural exfoliant to remove dead skin cells and get a smooth skin. It possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fill about more than a half bucket or foot sink with warm water and add baking soda to it. Let the baking soda dissolve in the water well.
- Soak your feet in this mixture for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Scrub your feet one-by-one gently with a pumice stone.
- Rinse well and dry your feet with clean towel.
There are many ways to get rid off the cracked feet but these are the most effective ones. You can see some commendable results when you use these remedies and follow the application steps as mentioned above.
And remember, you must always keep your feet covered and away from pollution. You can use thin socks. This will also help lock moisture and prevent your feet from exposure to dirt and dust.
We’d love to hear your experiences and how these remedies worked for you. Also, if you have some other beauty problems and want an effective home-remedy for the same, you can leave us a comment in the comment section below and we will get back to you in our future articles.