Plaque consists of bacteria that affects your tooth enamel and causes tooth decay and gum diseases. If you take proper care of plaque and remove it on a daily basis, you can prevent the tooth issues.
And when you do not treat plaque well, it stays on your teeth and becomes harder known as tartar. Tartar is formed both above and below the gum lines which you can see visually in the form of yellow or white patches.
If the condition is left untreated, it will lead to several issues such as halitosis, tooth enamel damage, tooth decay, gum diseases and many more.
But worry no more. Below are 10 amazing home remedies to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth.
1. Brush with baking soda and salt to remove tartar
Both baking soda and salt consists of antibacterial properties that helps to maintain pH balance in the mouth cavity and fade away tartar and plaque in the teeth.
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- Mix both baking soda and salt.
- Place this mixture on a wet toothbrush.
- Now, gently brush your teeth.
- Then, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- In the beginning, use this every alternate day. And once the plaque/tartar is cleared, you repeat this remedy once every 7-10 days.
2. Chew some sesame seeds for tartar and plaque removal
Sesame seeds help to cleanse and polish the teeth because they act as a natural scrub that scrape off plaque and tartar from your teeth.
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Chew the sesame seeds ( do not swallow it though).
- With the chewed seeds on your mouth, brush your teeth with a dry toothbrush.
- Repeat this twice a week for best results.
3. Remove tartar at home by consuming figs
If figs are easily available at your place then consider consuming figs to stay away from tartar and plaque on your teeth. Eating figs stimulate the salivary glands and hence increases the secretion of saliva. This then helps to make your teeth cleaner and gum strengthener.
- 2-3 figs
- Take the figs and consume by slowly chewing it.
- Take them everyday after your meal.
4. Swish with coconut oil to stay away from tartar and plaque
Coconut oil consists of antimicrobial properties that helps to kill any bacteria that causes tartar or plaque buildup. It also absorbs all the harmful and unwanted ingredients from your oral cavity.
- 1-2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- Swish the virgin coconut oil around in your mouth.
- Do it for about 10-15 minutes.
- Then, spit the oil out and rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week for best results.
5. Consume guava or its leaves for tartar removal
Both the fruit and leaves works to treat tartar and plaque on your teeth. Beside resulting in clean teeth, it also helps in reducing gum swelling too.
- Take an unripe guava and sprinkle some salt over it and chew it.
- Take few guava leaves, wash it with water and chew it.
- Spit it out after a while.
Both these directions are quite helpful to remove plaque and tartar buildup from your teeth.
6. Chew some peppers to clean your teeth
One of the easy yet effective home remedies to get rid of tartar and plaque buildup is to chew some spicy food like pepper. If you wonder how it works, then the process is quite simple. When you chew spicy food, your mouth automatically becomes more moist due to increased production of saliva which helps to clean your teeth.
- You can directly chew some peppers to remove plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth.
7. Strawberries and tomatoes can get rid of tartar
Strawberries and tomatoes are rich in vitamin C and antimicrobial properties that help to kill tartar causing bacteria and also help to prevent any tartar or plaque buildup in your teeth.
- 1 fresh strawberry
- 1 fresh ripe tomato
- Crush tomato and strawberry to form a pulp.
- Apply the pulp onto your teeth.
- Leave it for abou5 5 minutes.
- Then rinse off with water.
- Repeat twice a week till you see any difference.
8. Remove plaque and tartar with aloe vera
Whenever we think of aloe vera, the bitter taste comes in our mind. But despite its taste, it really works as wonder to scrape off tartar from your teeth. You can simply mix it with some other ingredients to make it more powerful.
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel (fresh is better)
- 2 teaspoons glycerin
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup of water
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Scrub it in your teeth with the help of a toothbrush
- In the beginning, repeat daily to remove plaque and tartar
- Afterwards when you have less tartar, repeat every 3-4 days.
9. Get rid of tartar with orange peel
Orange peels are somehow abrasive that helps to take off tartar from your teeth. Beside that the citric acid content in the oranges also help to soften the tartar and ultimately removes it.
- Peel an orange and use the peel to rub your teeth.
- Rub it for about 2 minutes and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- Then rinse off with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week for best results.
10. White vinegar to remove plaque and tartar
The acetic acid content and antibacterial property of white vinegar makes it a good element to remove tartar and plaque. It also prevents the accumulation of any kind of bacteria that leads to plaque or tartar.
Things you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Half cup of water
- To a half cup of water, add white vinegar.
- Then, add salt and stir it well.
- Now use this solution to rinse your mouth.
- Repeat twice a day for best results.
While these remedies can prevent to stay away from plaque and tartar, if you are already a victim, consider visiting your dentists. Sometimes only your dentist can help you get rid of the hard tartar. Later, you can use these above listed remedies to stop repeating the same issue.