A fairly humiliating and socially unacceptable condition of bad breath is technically known as Halitosis. And it is pretty obvious that nobody likes to encounter someone with a smelly mouth.
Though so much undesired, there are almost 25 to 30 percentage of people in the world who actually suffer with the problem of bad breath. Though it is not an emergency medical condition but addressing it on time would help you make your space on social grounds.
The causes of bad breath are pretty distinct and may include one or more of these:
- dental cavities
- gum disease
- poor oral hygiene
- coated tongue
Although not really visible, but there are hundreds of bacteria living inside our mouths creating the sulfurous smells; some residing on the tongue, some below the gumline, some in the pockets created by gum diseases between gums and teeth.
There are some other causes behind halitosis that could have been neglected, including:
- Malnutrition – when fat breakdowns it gives your breath a nice fruity odor
- Dry mouth – saliva produced in mouth has an antimicrobial effect
- Infections such as sore throat or sinusitis, or intestinal disorders can be another cause
Sometimes, food and drinks like garlic, onions, coffee, and alcohol, can also cause bad breath. But this kind of foul smell is intermittent and goes away in some time. No matter whatever the cause is, treatment of bad breath is possible with some effective home remedies.
Here I have listed top 10 natural treatment methods to cure bad breath fast:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar to get rid of the bad breath
The natural antibacterial property of Apple cider vinegar greatly help in reducing halitosis. The citric nature of ACV helps to maintain the pH balance inside your mouth.
- In a glass of cold water, add 1 to 2 of apple cider vinegar to make a vinegar and water solution.
- Use this as a mouthwash to gargle. Continue for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Wash your mouth with tepid water.
2. Use Salt water rise to avoid Halitosis
Salt water solution is another easy and effective home remedy for bad breath. It neutralizes the pH balance of the mouth and also help cleanse it as thoroughly. It is also antimicrobial in nature.
- Make some salt water by adding 1 teaspoon table salt to a glass of warm water
- Use this solution for gargle.
- Repeat this remedy for 1 to 2 times a day.
3. Green Tea remedy for smelly mouth
Replacing early morning tea and coffee with green tea helps you fight against halitosis. The natural compounds present in green tea have antibacterial properties and therefore will help get rid off the odor-causing bacteria.
- Put a tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Let it steep for a few minutes and then remove it.
- Add honey to taste and sip on this tea.
- Include 1 to 3 cups of green tea in your everyday diet.
4. Ginger treatment to keep bad breath at bay
Ginger is another amazing natural product enriched with antimicrobial properties that helps in solving the bad odor problem, in addition to various types of oral and throat infections.
- Slice down, grate and squeeze a ginger root to extract the fresh juice out of it.
- Pour this juice to some warm water and use it to rinse your mouth.
- For the first few days use it to gargle after your meals. Then, continue once in 2-3 days to keep bad breath away.
5. Get an instant remedy for mouth odor with Cardamom
Cardamom acts as an aromatic freshener for your mouth and helps in reducing the effects of bad breath by acting as a deodorizer. The freshness of cardamom overrules the bad odor with its fragrance.
- Take a cardamom pod and chew it as a whole or peel out the pod and chew the seeds present inside.
- If you take a meal with garlic, onions or any food items with strong odor, simply pop a cardamom pod into your mouth, right after the meal.
6. Activated Charcoal to get rid of odor-causing bacteria
The harmful germs and bacterias in your mouth can be kept at bay by using the powerful, yet safe ingredient – activated charcoal – at home. Activated charcoal helps get rid of the foul mouth odor problem. It is also good for keeping your teeth white.
- Use half a tsp of activated charcoal to brush your teeth.
- Thoroughly wash your mouth to remove all the charcoal.
- Use activated charcoal twice or thrice a week until you see some commendable results.
7. Stinky breath home remedy using Parsley
Parsley is a useful natural ingredient that not only makes digestion easy, but also serves as a potential home remedy for halitosis. The chlorophyll present in parsley functions as a powerful antibacterial agent that helps in eliminating the bacteria causing odor from the mouth and the throat.
- Take some few fresh parsley leaves and clean them properly.
- Chew these leaves directly or you can add them to your food.
- Include parsley in your regular diet so get fast results.
8. Coconut Oil – a well known solution for bad breath
Using coconut oil for bad breath is a popular technique used by people since ages. This technique is used to keep the mouth healthy and free from bacteria. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that makes it ideal remedy for halitosis.
- Swish a tbsp of coconut oil around in your mouth
- Continue swishing for about 5-10 minutes and spit it out when you’re done.
- Wash your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy method every day unless you get desired results.
9. Use Cinnamon to get rid of Halitosis
When it comes to cleansing your mouth, cinnamon and honey both are great natural ingredient having antimicrobial properties that can perform well to get the bacteria and microbes off your mouth. On the other hand, lemon contains acids that have a bactericidal effect on the oral flora. It also helps maintain the pH level of the mouth.
- Squeeze the juice out of two fresh lemons in an airtight container
- Add half tbsp of cinnamon powder and 1 to 2 tbsp of honey to it
- Pour a cup of hot water to this mixture, and close the lid to shake well
- Use 1 to 2 tbsp of this paste to rinse your mouth after brushing your teeth
- Now wash your mouth with plain tepid water.
- Repeat this treatment method every day for a few days.
10. Avoid mouth smell with Lemon Juice and Yogurt
The antibacterial nature of lemon juice is effective in removing the bacteria that causes mouth odor. The good bacteria available in yogurt helps restore the balance in the natural flora of your oral cavity.
- Add a tsp of lemon juice to nearly 1 to 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- Thoroughly mix these two ingredients and apply the paste on your teeth and inside of your mouth.
- Let it sit there for about 5 to 7 minutes and then rinse your mouth properly with plain water.
- Use this remedy whenever required.
Nature is filled with compound that are useful for getting rid of the issues that are related to your oral, gut and digestive system, and thereby solving problems associated with the bad breath. By implementing these remedies in your daily routine, it is possible to find a natural solution for bad breath.
The remedies mentioned in this article are not only pleasant to use, but they also encourage long-term health of your oral and gut microbiome.
Note: If your bad breath issue persists even after the home treatment then it is better to see your dentist or doctor.
Also, have a look at top 10 home remedies to shrink your ear hole size naturally!