Hair is one of the precious belonging to human race. Everyone loves to have nice, voluminous and damage-free hair. However, the everyday life and work makes it difficult for us to prevent the damage resulted due to various factors. Split ends are one common type of hair-damage that we experience.
Why do I have split ends?
Split ends are signs of weak hair strands. Splits are the result of fraying of hair due to sun radiation, heat, dust, pollution, and chemical exposure.
What to use for split ends?
Cutting your hair may seem as an easy solution to get rid of the split ends but sometimes you really don’t want to compromise on the length. Here we will discuss about multiple natural and easy home remedies to cure the splits without having to cut them off.
10 best home treatment for Split Ends
1. Egg treatment for hair splits
Using raw eggs in your hair is an old and natural remedy to cure various types of split ends. It provides your hair with good amount of protein for building the tip and root stronger. Eggs, rich in protein, helps in conditioning your damaged hair because of the presence of some hair-healthy enzymes.
- Whisk an egg yolk with 1 tablespoon of honey and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix them well together , and then apply the mixture to your damp hair. Leave it there for about 30 minutes and wash it off. You can use mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, you can mix an egg with a teaspoon of almond oil to make an even paste. Apply it to your split ends and damaged hair. Leave it for about 20-30 minutes. Wash it off and use a mild shampoo.
- Continue for 2-3 times a week for some time to witness some improvement.
2. Olive Oil – a natural treatment for split ends
Olive oil treats and nourishes damaged hair with it’s natural elements and serves as a safe remedy for split ends. It also has an added value when used on dried/ damaged hair. It is great for treating a dry scalp and boosting shine. And the treatment is quite simple to follow.
- Add three tablespoons of olive oil to two tablespoons of raw honey and mix it well
- Apply the mixture to your hair right after you shampoo.
- Leave it on for about 20 to 30 minutes. Then rinse and wash your hair with a mild or moisturizing shampoo.
- Use the remedy for multiple times unless you see some great result.
3. Honey mask for split ends
Honey is a natural healer and contains essential ingredients for healthy body, hair or skin. Honey locks moisture and thus helps in rescuing you from getting a dry scalp. It also prevents split ends as it strengthens the hair follicles.
- Use of only honey and water can make your hair sticky and messy.
- What you can do is make a hair mask by mixing honey with curd, olive oil and egg yolk (optional).
- Apply this mixture on your hair, including the scalp, and keep it for around 20-25 minutes
- Wash it off. Use mild shampoo.
- Repeat for few week to get better results.
4. Hair splits treatment at home with Beer
Beer is not only a good beverage but it supplies the required essentials like sugar and protein to your damaged hair follicles. This helps in controlling the split ends. It also adds volume to your hair, besides working as an excellent conditioner.
- Use a flat beer for the application as beer with fizz may damage your hair.
- Wash your hair with beer right after you shampoo
- Leave it for around 2 to 3 minutes before washing it off well.
- Keep on using this formula until you notice some commendable output.
5. Cure split ends naturally with Avocado
Avocado is another natural home remedies for split ends. It supplies a huge number of nutrients that are beneficial for your hair such as vitamin A, D, E, H along with iron, protein, magnesium, amino acids and potassium. Therefore, avocado can be used as a nurturing mask for healthier, stronger and lustrous hair. Continuous use of avocado make a protective coat to prevent your hair from possible damage.
- Cut and mash a ripe avocado and add two tablespoons each of olive oil and coconut oil. Mix it until you get a consistent paste.
- Apply this mixture on your hair.
- Leave it on for around 30 minutes.
- Rinse well and shampoo your hair.
- Continue this on a weekly basis, for 2 – 3 months.
6. Aloe Vera for split ends home remedy
Aloe Vera is a well known home remedy for split ends and an excellent cure for damaged hair. It consists of enzymes that helps in removing dead cells from the scalp, nurturing your hair growth. It also acts as a great conditioner for your hair resulting to beautiful, smooth and strong hair.
- Extract the gel out of 2 to 3 aloe vera leaves
- Apply it evenly all over your hair; especially on the damaged areas.
- Leave it for around 30 to 40 minutes and rinse off well. Use mild shampoo if you like.
- Use this method 2-3 times per week for several months to see astonishing results.
For best result, you can add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and two tablespoons of olive oil, castor oil or jojoba oil to the extracted aloe vera gel.
7. Natural treatment of split ends with Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is a type of tea considered best among the natural home remedies for split ends. It beholds some rich nourishing properties for hair treatment to get rid of split ends. Chamomile fixes the damaged hair including split ends. In addition, it strengthens your hair and heals the damage fast.
- Boil 2 to 3 cups of water in a pot
- Add 1 to 2 bags of Camomile tea in it and stir properly
- After sometime, let it cool. Remove the tea bags.
- Apply the mixture to your hair. Or simply rinse your hair using this solution.
- Using this method regularly will give you amazing results.
You can also use chamomile oil to massage your hair before shampoo.
8. Banana for split end remedy
With the richness of natural oils, potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamins A, C, and E, bananas help in restoring the natural elasticity of your hair. Also, they help in softening and moisturizing your hair, encouraging hair repair, and improving manageability.
- Mash a ripe banana and add two tablespoons of plain yogurt and a little rose water and lemon juice to it.
- Mix together to form a consistent thick paste.
- Apply this as a hair-mask to your hair.
- Leave it for about one hour and then wash it off.
- Repeat once or twice a week until you witness some changes.
9. Papaya – a safe and natural treatment for split ends and damaged hair
Papaya is a fruit with multiple benefits. It is equally helpful in treating damaged hair. It consists of folic acid that helps in improving the blood circulation in your scalp and hair. It is also rich in vitamin A that helps in maintaining moisture in the hair follicles, promoting hair growth and preventing split ends.
- Cut a raw papaya and mash it form a paste. You can use a grinder.
- Add yogurt to the paste and stir to form a consistent mixture .
- Apply it on your hair and leave it for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Wash it off using cold water.
- Apply this remedy for multiple times to experience better results.
10. Use of Coconut Oil as an easy solution to split ends
Coconut oil is one of the most common and age-old recipe to prevent split ends. It helps in treating your damaged hair and making it strong and smooth by removing the dirt present on the scalp area. It combats all hair problems including split ends, dullness and hair fall without causing any harm or side-effects.
- All you need to do is massage your hair and hair scalp with warm coconut oil
- Keep it for about 1 to 2 hours
- Wash it well with cold water
- Use this formula for 2 – 3 times a week for better result.
Like everything else, your hair too needs proper care and attention. Give them the required nourishment and moisturization and make them healthy and beautiful once again.
We’d like to hear some feedback from you on this. Share your review and experience with us in the comment section below.
Want some tips to make your hair smooth and shiny like that of celebrities? Here are top 10 best home remedies for smooth and shiny hair.