Lice in your head can be troublesome. They spread from head-to-head contact. These parasites don’t fly or hop but crawl. They prefer warm and dark environment; particularly the area behind your ears or above the neck are their favorite spot. They multiply rapidly by laying about 6 to 10 nits(lice eggs) daily. When not treated properly you will end up with lice infestation.
Why do I have repetitive lice?
Sometimes, lack of proper medication makes it tough to get rid of the lice as they tend to reappear. Some lice that are left behind in the scalp during the treatment will multiply again, increasing the level of severity. There it is very important to properly follow the remedy measures to completely get rid of them.
How to get rid of head lice?
Follow these top 10 best home remedies to get rid of head lice overnight:
1. Prevent head lice by using Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of head lice and nits from the scalp. Due to the acidic effect of lemon, it makes an inhospitable environment for lice and ultimately kills them. It is equally effective in preventing lice infestation.
- Squeeze a lemon to take a juice out of it
- Apply the fresh lemon juice to the scalp and cover it with a towel
- Leave it for 30 minutes
- Shampoo and rinse off with lukewarm water, then use a nit comb.
Alternatively, you can also add garlic to the lemon juice. For this:
- Mash some garlic cloves to make a paste.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to this paste and mix it thoroughly.
- Massage it onto the scalp and cover it with a towel for about thirty minutes.
- Shampoo and then use a nit comb.
Note: If there are any damage or scratches in the head, lemon juice can cause a burning sensation. So, use it with great care and avoid getting it into your eyes.
2. Use Vaseline to get rid of head lice
Vaseline – a petroleum jelly is considered as an effective remedy for getting rid of lice. It does not include any special composition that is responsible for killing the lice. Rather, it kills by suffocating them. The vaseline gets stuck into their breathing tubes and when they cannot breathe, they die.
- Take some vaseline and rub it into your scalp and hair.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for overnight.
- Next morning, wash your hair with water and regular shampoo.
Since Vaseline is thick and sticky, so expect to rinse your hair several times to remove it completely.
3. Natural lice treatment using Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a natural remedy to get rid of lice. This staple ingredient in every household is an excellent hair smothering and conditioning agent. Coconut oil also suffocates the lice and eventually kill them.
- Add a little camphor to moderately hot coconut oil.
- Thoroughly apply this oil over your scalp and hair. Massage it well.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo the next day.
- When dry, comb it with a nit comb.
- Use this treatment daily for few days to completely eradicate lice.
4. Onion to remove lice from your hair
Onion is another great remedy for treating lice at home. The sulphur content in onion has a pungent smell that suffocates the lice and hence kills it.
- Blend six regular onions to make a smooth paste.
- Put this paste on a sieve and extract the juice out of it.
- Massage your scalp with the extracted juice and use a shower cap to cover your head for about two hours.
- Next shampoo the hair, let it dry and finally use a nit comb to remove the dead lice from the head.
5. Lice treatment at home with Vinegar
Vinegar is one of the most effective methods in getting rid of head lice. The acetic acid present in vinegar is toxic for the lice living on your scalp. It also helps in dissolving the dead nits. You may pick out the remaining ones with a nit comb.
- Mix equal quantity of vinegar and mineral oil.
- Apply this mixture thoroughly from scalp through hair tip before bed.
- Use a shower cap to cover your head and hair. Leave it on overnight.
- Wash your hair with a regular shampoo the next morning.
Alternatively, you can dilute the vinegar using equal amount of water and apply this solution to rinse your freshly shampooed hair. Leave it for some 10 minutes, and then wash your hair with fresh water.
Repeat the treatment two to three times a week for two months. Do not forget to comb your hair thoroughly with a nit comb after using these remedies.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar – best way to remove lice from your head
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) has stronger antimicrobial properties as compared to the regular white vinegar. Therefore, making it an effective remedy to hair lice and nits.
- Apply apple cider vinegar solution at the nape of your neck, behind the ears, and on the scalp.
- Use a nit comb to comb the nits out. You can do this either before or after the hair wash.
You can also use a diluted mixture of vinegar and water if you don’t feel comfortable to use raw vinegar on the head. The nit comb will still work and catch the lice and the dead eggs.
7. Mayonnaise remedy to remove lice from hair naturally
Another popular home remedy for removing head lice is mayonnaise. Mayonnaise easily suffocate the lices and eventually kill them. Research have proven it to be an acceptable method to treat lices.
- Apply mayonnaise coating to your hair.
- Cover it with a shower cap or wrap a towel around your head.
- Leave it on for overnight.
- Next morning, wash your hair with a regular shampoo.
- Dry your hair using a hot air hair dryer to ensure the lice are dead.
- Use a nit comb to comb out the lice and nits.
- Repeat this method once a week for about two months to completely remove the recurrence of lice.
8. Treat head lice and nits with Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the effective and simple ways to get rid of these tiny parasites. Coating the skin of adult lice with olive oil deprives them of oxygen. As a result, they can no longer breathe and they die.
- Coat your scalp and hair with olive oil.
- Shampoo and rinse the hair thoroughly.
- Combing with a lice comb to remove the dead lice and nits.
9. Tea Tree Oil remedy for hair lice treatment
Tea tree oil is great repellent and hold many medicinal values. It is 100% natural, and safe to use. It also soothes your scalp.
- Add 3-5 drops of tea tree oil to every one ounce of shampoo. Use this shampoo mixture to your hair. Wash and dry your hair and then use a nit comb to remove the lice.
- Alternatively, mix some three tablespoons of olive oil with a teaspoon of tea tree oil. Apply this oil solution to your scalp and hair thoroughly. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then shampoo your hair.
Use this tea tree remedies for at least two months to completely get rid of the lice.
10. Alcohol rubbing to remove head lice and nits
Rubbing alcohol on your scalp is a powerful way to get rid of the lice and nits. This strong disinfectant solution does wonders when it comes to treating the lice problem.
- Use a rubbing alcohol on your scalp and gentle massage it.
- Leave it on for sometime. Apply some conditioner if you’re getting a burning sensation.
- Use a nit comb to get rid of the dead lices and nits.
- Shampoo and then use the hair dryer.
Despite following these remedies, it is equally important to maintain your overall hygiene. Do not share comb/ hair brush or cap, wash all the bed linens with hot water and disinfectant, thoroughly vacuum out all the furniture and floor. The major point is to wipe out all possible sources of recurrence of infestation.
Also, discover 10 effective home remedies to protect your hair from chlorine before/after swimming.